How to Become a Graphic Designer - A Designer’s Perspective

The opportunities abound in the field of graphic design. You can also do side work for local places that have design needs or your can get online and look at the freelancer sites to find extra work and to build your portfolio for your next job.

How to Become a Graphic Designer - Another Designers' Perspective

How to Become a Graphic Designer - A Designer’s Point of View

A graphic designer is someone who creates artistic graphics for both business and pleasure. Usually, the graphic designer will work for commercial companies creating graphics for magazine advertisements, logos, decals, website graphics, and much more. They generally work to create an image that can be incorporated with reading material.

You can attend many different types of schools for graphic design. It is recommended that if you want to dabble or get your feet wet in the Graphic Design world that you take an internship either during your high school career or during your college education. Most internships result in a type of credit to your schooling, or at least give you hands on experience to see what the life of a designer consists of in the graphic design field.

Getting an associates degree is a sure-fire way to get started quickly. In two years, you will have enough functional knowledge to be an entry level graphic designer. Beyond that, you will want to attend a 4-year school that will allow you to expand your degree and give you the education that you need to be able to get the better jobs in Graphic Design. Also attending a 4-year school will allow you to use the resources available at that school to find employment, if they offer that option once you have graduated. You may continue your education for credit through that college, or other means to help keep your skills in a good marketable place. It will help you to achieve more in your career by getting the latest trends and information going into your portfolio.

The portfolio is the most essential tool that any graphic designer can have in their marketing tools. During your education, you will be able to take the graphic designs you have created and make a portfolio for when you first start looking for a job. It is suggested that you also maintain that portfolio by putting fresh pieces in it on a regular basis to show your most recent work that you have created. This will allow your future employer to see your skills and to be able to make a determination if your skills are needed in that company and whether you can grow with the company. You can expect that your employment will gross around $30,000 to $50,000 per year when you are just starting out in this field. The opportunities abound in this field. You can also do side work for local places that have design needs or your can get online and look at the freelancer sites to find extra work and to build your portfolio for your next job.

About the Author’s Site:

Folder Printing - http://www.folderprinting.co.uk - We offer short run, luxury folder printing. All folders are printed on thick 350gsm silk stock, all assembly is done for you, creasing, folding and gluing, free business card slot and business card for each folder as well as bespoke folder template designs on request.

[tags]careers in graphic design, career in graphic design, become a graphic designer, becoming a graphic designer, how to become a graphic designer, careers, graphic design degrees, graphic design education, graphic designers, graphic designer, graphic arts, design, graphic design[/tags]

1. aerionia
    Posted October 24, 2007 at 5:30 am | Permalink

who is the blogger, or author of this page? I am doing a research paper and am sourcing this page.

2. eden
    Posted November 17, 2007 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Hey im eden im 13. I was in art one day and i was designing a logo. My art teacher came up to me and said “wow a natural designer, have you thought about what you want to be when your older? maybe take a look at a career in graphic designing, you could be very succesfull”. She told me to look it up on the internet and i have. I want to know what subjects i should really be focusing on so i can increase the chances of becoming a graphic designer. I would really appreciate it if you e-mailed me back and gave me some tips. You could be the people that give me a chance of being a graphic designer.

Much appreciated, Eden.

3. Posted November 17, 2007 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Hi there Eden. I am very impressed that you are already showing your talents as a graphic designer. I will try to put a list together for you in the next few weeks and I will post it here and email you to let you know that I posted it.

Thanks or your email.

Rachel

4. lauren
    Posted November 25, 2007 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I want to get into the field of Graphic Design. I began my college career as a Graphic Design major but graduated with a degree in English. Before I head back to school and rack up more student loan debt, I wondered if there was a different path I could venture down. Would you recommend the completion of a degree vs. real-world experience?

5. polaric
    Posted December 1, 2007 at 2:23 am | Permalink

hi!..i’m polaric…i started my intentions in graphic designing when i saw on a t.v. what a graphic designer do,..you know what its awesome..u can have big incomes on doing it..i really want to be a graphic designer..can u help me how to be one,the steps,the programs..by the way i’m olredy a 3rd year ComSci student..i think this is a gud background to become a good graphic designer…

6. polaric
    Posted December 1, 2007 at 2:26 am | Permalink

hi,again!..can u tell me if ever i become a graphic designer,how will i make an income to the web..what i mean is getting customer to the web?..how will i introduce myself to the web?..so that they know me that i’m a graphic designer??..

7. Shendelle
    Posted December 1, 2007 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

hey in school this week we took a career test to see what some opptions we could be when we get older. Im 13 and I was looking up stuff on the internet about graphic designing. & i think i could be really good at it or at least try. & i was wondering what classes i would need to take in high school? could you email me with some tips or classes? thanks!

8. hannah k
    Posted December 2, 2007 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

im 14 and im definitely going into either graphic design or music. im taking art classes at school and i am a designer on the yearbook staff. you can also take comm tech classes. they teach some about color and shapes and whatnot. a good site to learn about color and what works is kuler.adobe.com . its got a really cool program to figure out how colors work together. you could download gimp or adobe illustraitor, (sp?) and start trying to figure it all out. i still havent, haha its kinda complicated to do. anyways good luck!

9. Lisa
    Posted January 8, 2008 at 2:59 am | Permalink

Hi my name is Lisa, I’m currently attending college. My major is MIS, however I don’t see a future in MIS. I’m not passionate about it at all. My passion is in graphics and webpage design. However, I don’t know if I should go into those two fields but I don’t know how easy it would be to get a job after acquiring the degree. Could you give me some advice on this. I wanted to know if I should go for it, before I transfer schools. Also, how hard it actually is to rise and do well with this field. Please email me back if you have the time. Thank you!

Lisa

10. NN
    Posted January 8, 2008 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

I appreciate the fact that you give us that aspire to be a graphic designer tips. I want it uncontrollably! But some of us can’t afford the newest versions of the necessity software. Any suggestions?

11. Posted January 8, 2008 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Hi and thank you for your comment - You should look here Graphic Design and Layout Shareware - There are plenty of cheaper versions of design software that you can use. They just aren’t quite up to the same level as the software that I listed. Good luck.

12. holly
    Posted January 25, 2008 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

hiya im holly & 14. and thats all i want to do is be a graphic designer!
    ive looked on loads of sites to see how you become one.
    im definatley taking art & design & IT in college.
    i think i’d be good at being a graphic designer.
    because thats all i do in my spare time is design random stuff,
    also my art teacher comploments me with my work.
    so could you give me some advice what to do when i get to college.
    thanks x

13. John
    Posted March 13, 2008 at 3:09 am | Permalink

Hey,

My names john and i am very intrested in studying graphics designing when i leave school. I am currently in year 11 studying industrial tech - multimedia and IPT. I was just wondering any do you have any advice for me when i leave school ? And i was wondering after you get your degree is it difficult to get a job in this industry ?

thanks

14. jackie
    Posted March 26, 2008 at 10:49 am | Permalink

I want to be a graphic desinger, and since I am 16 and a sophmore in highschool I was wondering what track I would need to follow to get into, maybe AI?

15. Luis
    Posted September 22, 2008 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

yoo my name is luis and im 19, im currently attending college to finish up my basics and i9 guess you could call me a graphics rookie, i’ve yet to take any schooling for graphics but plan on attending the Art Institute of Pheonix. For the past two years i’ve been trying to teach myself to work with graphics; i have a small portfolio of earlier works and consider myself somewhat decent. I was wondering if someone would be able to help talk to me about this career and maybe help steer me in the correct direction of the graphics field thats best for me.

Portfolio: http://neoseeker.com/forums/69/t520289-bubbster-sup3-8249-8249-8249-sending-transmission/

16. azeem
    Posted February 9, 2009 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Hi,,
    my name is azeem i m graphic designer i am graduate and diplomas in graphic filed but i wan to get more study and generate graphic skill please suggest me imporove my graphic skill..

regards,
    azeem

17. mike
    Posted April 15, 2009 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Design has always been second nature to me. I see it in everything I do. I dont live my life, I design it, but im afraid im too far behind the group here. I graduated highschool, then went to college for two years for visual arts, then dropped out for financial issues and enlisted in the Marine Corps, and now here I am wanting that lifestyle back. I get out late 2010 and am financially ready for college, but ill be thirty by the time i graduate, am I too late?