dcsimg

List of the Top Graphic Design & Digital Arts Magazines in Print

I decided to compile a list of the best Graphic Design magazines by referring to internet forums on the net. I came up with the following graphic design magazines, graphic arts magazine, digital arts magazines, and Photoshop magazines.

Top Favorite Graphic Design and Graphic Arts Magazines

List of the Top Graphic Design & Digital Arts Magazines

I am always being asked what the best graphic design magazines are. I decided to compile a list of the best Graphic Design magazines by referring to internet forums on the net. I came up with the following graphic design magazines, graphic arts magazine, digital arts magazines, and Photoshop magazines. This list contains magazines that are printed, but I will also be doing a blog entry soon about some good online graphic design magazines (design ezines / newsletters). If you believe that we missed a magazine that should be listed here, then please comment about it. I am posting my favorite magazines at the top with ‘**’ next to them. The other design magazines are in no particular order. Enjoy the read!

**CMYK Magazine
My personal favorite graphic design magazine. As the only quarterly showcase of up-and-coming creative talent, CMYK features student work that’s as fresh (if not more so) than what’s being produced for real by today’s top professionals. The current issue is a 100-piece emerging creative showcase. How to make creative directors want you. Designer as businessman. Confessions of an art school grad. Much, much more.

**How Magazine
A business, creativity and technology magazine for graphic designers. Contains ideas and techniques in graphic design that explore the studios of art directors, production designers and computer graphics professionals. Feature articles include: production, marketplace, software review, and specifications - news of people, places and things from the world of design.

**Communication Arts
A one-year subscription to Communication Arts consists of eight issues and includes the Design, Advertising, Illustration, Photography and Interactive annuals. Articles, technology reviews and resources, legal affairs, book reviews and available materials aimed at the professional artist. Occasional special issues and annuals on the subjects of photography, design, advertising and illustration.

**Dynamic Graphics Magazine
Magazine covering creative design ideas for Mac and PC users. Includes features on basic Photoshop techniques and Powerpoint presentations; columns on color, the rights and wrongs of using copyrighted work on websites, and digital cameras; and articles on technology.

**Layers Magazine
Layers magazine’s ongoing aspiration is to equip creative minds with the up-to-the-minute tools they need to build the digital masterpieces of tomorrow. Issues include tutorials for Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, GoLive, Acrobat, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Dreamweaver, and Flash - all the secret Adobe techniques that design professionals need to quickly and easily produce dazzling results.

Computer Arts C-W Computer Arts Projects
A magazine aimed at graphic designers and computer programmers, ComputerArts magazine features the latest technology and applications for design, page setup, and printing. Each issue is accompanied by a wonderful CD-Rom filled with graphics tools, and usually complete free software.

Computer Graphics World
Computer Graphics World magazine provides award-winning editorial coverage of film, TV, DV, Gaming, the Web and Graphic Arts. Each issue presents product news, user stories, industry analysis, in-depth feature articles and hands-on reviews. Articles, review articles and commentary on various aspects of computer graphic modeling and creation. The leading magazine devoted to the broad spectrum of computer graphics technology.

Digital Arts Magazine
Digital Arts offers comprehensive coverage of the art of graphic design, 3D, animation, video, effects, Web, and interactive design. The world of digital creativity. Digit magazine is a cross-platform magazine published by IDG for creative professionals working in digital media. Areas of interest include graphic design, 3D, Web, DTP, video, multimedia and animation.

Eye - International Review of Graphic Design
Eye, the international review of graphic design, is a beautifully designed and printed quarterly magazine based in the UK: essential reading and viewing for graphic designers and other professionals in the art and business of visual culture.

Step Inside Design Magazine
STEP Inside Design takes readers inside the world of design for a unique personal perspective on the issues, artists, and inspirations that drive design today. Each issue includes profiles of visionary creatives, thoughtful analysis on business issues, and essays on design’s most relevant questions.

Graphic Communications World
Serves the information needs of the graphics and printing industry. Topics include graphic arts, commercial printing and publishing, advertising, and typography.

Graphic Design - USA
A collection of exhibitions of selected works. It seems that many graphic designers are unhappy with Graphic Design USA. It appears to be a magazine with way too much promotional materials and advertising targeted towards designers.

Graphic Design Journal
The internationally acclaimed Graphic Design Journal contains in-depth articles on professional design practice; education; featured designers as well as commentary on the state of the graphic design industry.

Print - Americas Graphic Design Magazine
Print portfolios, profiles, regional design, thematic issues, computer advances, historical perspective and provocative articles in all areas of the field of graphic design for designers, illustrators and photographers worldwide. A magazine directed to graphic design professionals - shows what is happening in advertising, graphic design, corporate identity, television, film, computer-aided design, illustration and photography, typographic design, annual reports, magazine design, packaging, and environmental graphics.

Graphis - International journal of visual communication. Offers current and back issues, subscription information.

I.D. Magazine
Design magazine that strives to appeal to a wide range of designers, graphic artists, and architects. Focuses on the design of products, from autos to tableware, and covers the latest in graphics and environments.

Advertising Graphics and Typographic Design
I can’t find any information about this magazine, but you might want to try it. If you know anything about this magazine, please post your review of it.

Novum : World of Graphic Design
Novum is a German magazine covering the world of graphic design. It reports on industry news, technology, trends, book reviews, job opportunities, and more.

Digital Graphics Magazine
This isn’t really a graphic design magazine, but more of a magazine that might be useful to graphic designers in the print industry. Digital Graphics is the most widely acknowledged large-format digital print trade publication in the world. With the help of industry experts, Digital Graphics Magainze packs each issue with practical, money-making information, hands-on application ideas, the latest products, printer and software reviews, tips on workflow enhancement, file management, ink and media selection, and more.

Graphic Arts Monthly Magazine
This magazine may or may not be useful to you depending on what type of designer you are. Graphic Arts Monthly reports on applied technology for printing and allied industries. The magazine targets buyers and specifiers of printing equipment and supplies at commercial print and graphic communications operations.

Grafik Professional Magazine
A United Kingdom-based magazine for everyone involved or interested in graphic design. Strives to keep readers informed and inspired. Known for its diversity of content, it covers the best of contemporary graphic design while appreciating the richness and value of design history.

Arkitip - Arkitip Magazine serves creative principles…what has started out as a project between friends has become a full fledged business and a worldwide source for groundbreaking art and design today.

Before & After - The magazine that made design fun. This graphic design magazine is in print and online as a PDF. Before & After magazine has been sharing its practical approach to graphic design since 1990. Because our modern world has made designers of us all (ready or not), Before & After is dedicated to making graphic design understandable, useful and even fun for everyone.

Big Magazine - Latest in visual and trends, combining the work of influential creatives with newcoming ones as well.

Coupe Mag - Coupe presents a visual collision between the worlds of design, art, technology, and culture

Digital Output
The online and printed business guide for electronic publishers and digital imagers.

Inside Adobe Indesign Magazine / Journal
Inside Adobe InDesign provides specific, real-world design examples in an easy to read, step-by-step format. This all-inclusive journal shows the best methods for each job and reviews the latest new tools and techniques.

Trade Pub - Free publications about graphic arts, printing and reprographics.

VUEPOINT Magazine - Published bi-monthly and is available to all members of VUE. In it you will find tutorial articles on features of Corel Ventura versions 8 and 10 with limited coverage of previous versions. In addition each issue includes tips and tricks, a question and answer section, and reviews on publishing, web sites, books and other resources.

Digital Media World
Australia’s online gateway to the world of computer arts, video, digital imaging, design and creativity including news, reviews and profiles of the digital content creation community.

PHOTOSHOP

Advanced Photoshop
Advanced Photoshop is the perfect magazine for honing already great Photoshop skills, and learning new advanced techniques for the world’s best image-editing software. Each issue is packed with inspiring interviews, challenging tutorials and the whole magazine is tailor-made for the advanced digital artist.

Inside Photoshop Magazine
Inside Photoshop provides readers with the simplest, most effective ways of learning the hidden capabiliies within Photoshop. Geared toward intermediate and advanced users, each issue is full of practical articles guaranteed to save time and make readers more productive.

Photoshop Creative Magazine
Photoshop Creative provides Photoshop users with lashings of practical advice and inspiration. Whether you’re brand new to the program or simply looking to improve your existing skills, this is the magazine for you. We don’t like to leave anyone out, so we want to make sure there’s something for everyone - from the Adobe Photoshop Elements user right through to those lucky enough to own Photoshop CS3.

Photoshop Elements Techniques Magazine
Photoshop Elements Techniques helps readers unlock the secrets of Photoshop with step-by-step instructions on how to do everything from color correcting and sharpening photos, to creating the most requested photographic special effects.

Better Photoshop Techniques Magazine
Whereas photography used to be about the darkroom, today it is the computer and Photoshop. This is very much a how-to title written by a collection of leading industry professionals with extensive photographic, training and publishing experience. There are four issues each year.

WEB DESIGN MAGAZINES

.net : The Internet Magazine
This magazine is for web designers and developers. .net delivers cutting edge practical advice on the full range of topics essential for today’s web builders: design, development, sales, marketing, usability and accessibility, information architecture, security, copywriting, advertising and more. It is read by people who are serious about the commercial application of the internet.

Digital Web
The web designer’s online magazine of choice.

Inside Web Design
Inside Web Design is a guide to making better Web pages. Every month, it provides solid, step-by-step articles full of expert shortcuts, proven techniques and fresh ideas to improve Web pages.

GRAPHIC DESIGN MAGAZINES ONLINE

A List Apart - A List Apart Magazine explores the design, development, and meaning of web content, with a special focus on techniques and benefits of designing with web standards.

Born Magazine - Born Magazine is an experimental venue marrying literary arts and interactive media. Original projects are brought to life every three months through creative collaboration between writers and artists.

Brigata
The challenge is to move beyond flirtation to the discovery its concealed, raw and manifest power - through art, every-day life, people, the environment, technology and nature.

Creative Behavior
Creative Behavior is an online design magazine that provide information for new media designers, graphic designers, creative people, and any of you who take a keen interest in the area of creative industry and its aspects, from articles, interviews, typography, news and links to other related web sites.

Creative Business Newsletter
The Creative Business newsletter is the only publication 100% devoted to the business side of creative services– graphic design, interactive, advertising, editorial, and marketing. Founded in 1989, it is published nine times a year– six regular and three special issues–in a format of 12 to 16 pages.

Delve Magazine
Delve was created to explore visual culture through experimentation in design, photography, illustration, and other related visual arts. contributing artists are encouraged to explore aspects of their chosen medium that fall outside of conventional or commercial applications.

Digital Output

Digital Producer Magazine
Digital Producer Magazine is the first choice of professional digital content creators using computers for digital video, special effects and 3D animation.

Grafik Student Magazine

Graphic Exchange
Canada’s most intelligent editorial for professionals in digital communications and graphic arts.

Graphis
International journal of visual communication. Offers current and back issues, subscription information.

Net Diver
Inspire yourself from indie projects and portfolios exposing the creative class talents involved in the industry and beyond!

FontSite
A monthly magazine dedicated to typography and design, offering free fonts, fonts for sale, feature articles and an extensive book listing on typography and design.

Pink Mag
The Tokyo based graphic design magazine.

GUUUI
The interactive designer’s design magazine.

[tags]graphic design magazines, graphic arts magazines, graphic arts, graphic design journals, design magazines, graphics magazines, list of magazines, graphic designers, graphic designer, graphic arts, design, graphic design, digital arts, Photoshop, Photoshop magazines, Adobe magazines, journals[/tags]

Bookmark and Share

DID YOU LIKE THIS DESIGN POST? IF SO, PLEASE HELP US BY ADDING US AS ONE OF YOUR TECHNORATI FAVORITES AND BY ADDING OUR ARTICLES TO YOUR FAVORITE SOCIAL BOOKMARKING SITES (BELOW)

del.icio.us | Digg it | Furl | ma.gnolia | Netscape | RawSugar | reddit | Simpy | StumbleUpon | Yahoo MyWeb |
Post a Comment or Leave a Trackback

2 Comments

1. Posted September 15, 2007 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Do you have a top ten list for free open source photos or media files?

-ei

2. Posted September 16, 2007 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Hello ei,
    I posted a list of free stock photos on the net, visit it here http://allgraphicdesign.com/graphicsblog/2007/09/16/huge-list-of-free-stock-photos-on-the-net/

Good luck.
    Rachel
    AllGraphicDesign.com

5 Trackbacks

1. [...] (51) Get Articles Published in Online Magazines / e-zines. Try to get your articles published in online trade magazines and e-zines. Here is a list of graphic design and web design magazines. [...]

2. By 120 ways to graphic designer self promotion on November 29, 2007 at 11:57 pm

[...] (51) Get Articles Published in Online Magazines / e-zines. Try to get your articles published in online trade magazines and e-zines. Here is a list of graphic design and web design magazines. [...]

3. [...] other design forums) and participate in design discussions with other designers. Find your favorite design magazines, / ezines, and design blogs and read them on a daily basis. Find new design resources in our directory or at [...]

4. [...] » Week of 2/25: Submit an article proposal to trade magazines [...]

5. [...] (51) Get Articles Published in Online Magazines / e-zines. Try to get your articles published in online trade magazines and e-zines. Here is a list of graphic design and web design magazines. [...]

Post a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

About Us | FAQs | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

All website design, text, graphics, selection and arrangement thereof, and software are the copyrighted works of Allfreelance, © 2003 - 2014 QuinStreet, Inc.